It can cause problems ranging from nausea and headaches to blindness, nervous system damage or death.
An FDA import alert also warns about products found to contain methanol and/or
1-propanol, another form of alcohol that should not be used in hand sanitizers.
Methanol is a toxic chemical. It impairs the liver, causes blindness and affects kidneys.
In the case of overexposure, it causes death. In the US, the food and drug administration has been expanding
its list of hand sanitisers that consumers should not touch
Consumers who have been exposed to hand sanitizer containing 1-propanol and are experiencing symptoms should seek
immediate care for treatment of toxic effects of 1-propanol poisoning. Skin or eye exposure to 1-propanol can result in irritation,
and rare cases of allergic skin reactions have been reported.